After installing the August CPT of Sandcastle, you’ll need to update to the latest version of the MSBuild script.
The MSBuild script has been improved to work with Help Compiler 2. Check out the new instructions!
Last friday, Microsoft finally released a CTP version of Sandcastle. For this initial release however, they didn’t really focus on usability, and that shows! The 11-step instructions you need to follow just in order to compile the sample documentation are not really straight-forward..
There have already been some contributions to help you on your way; Mikael Söderström has created a Sandcastle Helper, there is a batch script from Ashley van Gerven, and a Power shell script from Scott Hanselman.
But what I really missed was some sort of MSBuild-integration, so I’ve spent the day building a .targets-file that can be used to simplify your Sandcastle builds greatly!
You can download the following files:
Unzip the contents of this file to c:\Program Files\MSBuild\Sandcastle.
This file contains a sample solution and a sample MSBuild script (called Documentation.proj).
Instructions for trying this out:
- If you haven’t already done so, install the Sandcastle June CTP. The scripts rely on a completly unmodified installation, so don’t make any changes to it (especially not the sandcastle.config file).
- Unzip the contents of Sandcastle.zip to your MSBuild folder (usually c:\Program Files\MSBuild)
- Unzip the contents of SandcastleTest.zip to wherever you like to keep your sample projects.
- Open up the SandcastleTest.sln solution file and build the project.
- Open a Visual Studio 2005 Command prompt, navigate to the SandcastleTest folder and run the following command:
- Cross your fingers, and when the process is finished, look for the Output\SandcastleTest.chm file!
Please post any errors and/or comments! The next step will be to try to integrate this script in the Team Foundation Build process.. I’ll keep you posted..
I’ve updated the script to work better with the Visual Studio plugin